Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Stroll in Venice - Should Have Worn a Hat

After Austin Blues Tri-pepper smoked pork and Buffalo, beef & pork with chipotle pepper sausages washed down with a Belgian Gouden Carolus, Chelsea headed back to her Sony Playstation world.  I had time to kill before a couple of conference calls and it was a rare ozone free blue sky day in Venice with temps around 70 degrees. I decided to put some steps on the Fitbit and walk to Venice beach and Abbott Kinney.

There are all kinds of opportunities to meet interesting people in LA.  My first stop was an interesting pet store where I found Koi, Goldfish, and Bearded Dragons for sale. I am not currently in the market for a dragon but I now know not to put sand in with the younglings.  I am curious to know if the dragon parents who live in nature know to keep their children out of the sand.

Not to far down the road I was asked by a nice man outside of an establishment of some sort if I would like to come inside for some refreshing coconuts. Now I was not sure if these were to be imbibed or otherwise applied so I declined.  I have seen many signs warning of falling coconuts so I consider them dangerous unless they are in a pie or a cake.

I next came along a couple of surf shops and some evangelists of the Big Kahuna working on their brakes on their "thugs against drugs" car.  I have to admit that I thought about my friend Dave back in Houston who surfs instead of playing golf.  I wonder if he would really like to hang with these guys in search of the big wave.

I rested on a bench outside Hal's Grill to check my messages.  Hal has some great memories of college celebrations, best chicken on the west coast, and someone locking her keys in her car.

I know some folks who have little dogs who wear clothes so I stepped into the Modern Dog store.  One of the proprietors and his partner were there and helped me pick out the right size for some little four footers. Turns out that the owner has lived in Houston on Virginia Street in the Upper Kirby district.  That is the same street my spouse inhabited in her childhood.  Small but very different world we all live in.

The eyes over Abbott Kinney appeared to be leftover fron a bye-gone era as they seemed to have nothing to do with the shop on the premises. I will bet that there is a story to be told.

By the time I returned to my car my head was a little pink.  My good friend, Andy, would likely agree that I should have worn a hat.

Jerry Windlinger
jwindlinger@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment