Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sushi for Breakfast


I have not eaten much sushi in my life, but I learned today that sushi for breakfast is strangely appetizing. Perhaps your stomach is ready for it after seeing all the fish laid out at the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo or maybe it is just that your bio clock is still on Houston time.

On the way to the fish market I had a bottle of hot lemonade which is also new for me. I guess that is in place of warm Sake. We picked out a sushi bar at the fish market that had no line. Two wonderful chefs talked to us through our hosts’ translations. We had a wonderful meal of green tea and miso soup with tofu. Egg cake and ginger were starters. Nigiri sushi dipped in soy sauce was exceptional. Tuna, shrimp, horse mackerel, yellow tail and snow crab were my favorites. Octopus was bland and sea urchin was a little mushy. All in all, a great breakfast with personal attention from the family who owns this establishment made this great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment